May 4, 2012

For Young Lawyers: Always Look into Heart of A Matter

I first heard these words when I was sitting in office of the prominent constitutional law expert and Senior Advocate P.P.Rao.

I had gone to his office with a client who wanted to engage him in a Land Acquisition matter. He looked into papers. He heard the points which were good according to me. Then he said, "Unless you go to the heart of the matter, you cannot expect Supreme Court to help you."

Fortunately, these words went straight into my heart.

Since than, I always remember these words when I am preparing a matter for arguing in Supreme Court.

Sometimes trouble arises when some matters have no heart at all. Or where heart is dead since many years ago. But otherwise, these words can help in solving any kind of puzzle.

Haresh Raichura
4th May,2012