May 2, 2012

For Young Lawyers: Sit in Court if you want to become Judge ofHigh Court or Supreme Court

I can give you example of late Justice K.G.Shah. He joined as an advocate at Nadiad in Gujarat. Everyday, at 10.30., he used to go and sit in Court of Principal District Judge. At 1' O"clock, the Court will rise for lunch break. Then K.G. Shah will come in Bar room to meet his other friend lawyers. From 2.00 PM to 4.00 PM, he will again go and sit in the same Court.

His friends used to tease him, laugh at him and used call him "Here comes.... the District Judge's Court"

Well, he became a District Judge. Then he became a High Court Judge. After retirement he came to practice in Supreme Court. And then, he told me this story.

2. At present, there is a Sitting Judge in Supreme Court. His advice to junior lawyers is simple.

"Reach Court at 9.45AM. Leave Court at 4.30PM. Then go home. Read or write or and whatever you may need to do."


3. Many years ago, once my matter was in Court No.8. presided by Justice S.P.Bharucha (as he was then). As someone told me that my matter was called out, I rushed from lobby to court. As there was crowd of lawyers, it took me a couple of minutes to enter in court. As soon as I faced Court, the Judge asked,

"Where were you?"

"I was in lobby", I replied honestly.

"Don't stand in lobby. Sit in Court." Justice Bharucha said.

Well, this is it.

You take your own decisions.

Haresh Raichura
02/05/2012

PS. Gandhiji has written in his autobiography that when he was practising at Bombay, there was a fashion among advocates to go and sleep in First Court. The point is, it is OK even if you go and sleep in First Court.