May 14, 2012

There Are Laws Which Force People To Become Corrupt

A total revolution in minds of 1.21billion people is necessary. People should be encouraged to say publicly that if choice is given to them, they would not like to pay bribes.

But do people have any choice but to pay bribes? Ask any small businessman or a top industrialist. Both will say that "There are Laws which Force Them To Pay Bribes"

Are We Indians basically dishonest people or are there laws which force we the people of India to pay bribes?


A twitter friend asked this while commenting on my blog and suggested me to see if I can write on this question.

The answer is obvious. There are at least 10,000/- laws, rules and circulars which force ordinarily law abiding people to pay up bribe or to go to jail.

One Example

If for certain violation of law, if law provides for punishment of " Six Months Jail, Or, Rs.1000/-fine, Or Both ", what do you make out from such a law?

It means, if you can pay bribe through right methods, the Authority or Judge can let off you with Rs.1000/- fine.

But if you will stand up in court like a honest man and say, "Sir, I am sorry. I will not do such thing in future." The Judge will possibly send you for six months jail and a fine of Rs.1000/-"

What will you do ?Would you like to pay bribe or would you like to be an honest person?

Are there really such laws, or am I just making up an imaginary example?

I have seen such provisions of laws. I have paused when I read such provisions of law. I have visualized how such provisions are forcing even law abiding people to pay bribe. Ask your nearest small shop-keeper. He will tell you that there are so many laws about his shop that he cannot run his business even for one day unless he pays monthly instalments of bribes.

Even Top Businessmen of India will say similar thing.

Next question is : Do we have some people who study such laws and suggest amendments of such laws?

I don't think we have.

Haresh Raichura
14th May 2012